Happy New Year!
Glad 2011 is over? There’s something magical about a clean slate that, while it can inspire gut-clenching dread, is so pretty and inspirational.
For the last few months I’ve been running around like a headless chicken trying to complete a Showreel (not done yet, but I’ll keep you posted), buy presents (all on time and accounted for!), set up a business or two and work at my day job. Am I likely to be any less busy this year? Doubt it. However I’ll be hanging out regularly on my own blog; I get points for that, right?
What this blog is and the point of it all
This blog will be about making believable effects and 3D. What this means is they can be as outlandish or ‘realistic’ as wanted but they have to be believable.
Tutorials will show how to make specific effects and how to give effects you have more gravity. Longer topics could be about adding believability to your scripts and scenes – what elements should be there and what shouldn’t.
The point is to enable everyone (me included) to create better effects; ones that add gravity and an extra something to the scenes they’re a part of.
Who is this really for?
I’m really trying to appeal to two different and distinct audiences with this site now. This is for you if;
1. You’re a student, recent graduate or trying to break into the film, TV or games industries. You’ll probably want to know how to improve your skills, get hired, and make cooler stuff than you currently are. Not quite beginner level, but just creeping into intermediate and feeling your way.
2. You’re already out there creating movies and/or games. Maybe you’re trying to make a particular scene look more real but there’s something not quite right with your current effects, or maybe the effect just doesn’t seem to fit with the story and you want to find some other way of accomplishing the same result – but better. You’ve been around the block a bit and are just looking for solutions, or a way to improve your workflow in the future.
Why am I bothering?
I’m writing so that I can learn and improve both my writing and 3D effects skills.
That’s all. No money to be made from this yet, learning and building relationships are the main points of this current site from now on. That way if I decide to offer affiliates or advertising later to cover costs I can (and probably will) but its not the main issue.
Why should you read?
Quality content on a real issue that people across the board have; how to make effects more believable within our scenes, shorts and movies. From the writing to completion I’ll be looking at exactly how to do this and anyone reading can use and apply that knowledge to become better and make more awesome things.
Also, it’ll save you time figuring out what the problem is after a while using my methodologies, reduce stress associated, and bring re-known to projects where you’ve added a bit of pizzaz.
After the initial ‘January Scramble’ time frame quiets down you can expect one post a week (on Friday, about 4.30pm GMT) falling loosely into these for topics.
- In depth theoretical post
- Review of something useful, fun or interesting
- Video tutorial on a practical tip, trick, or effect made by yours truly
- The fun post.
Before the eye rolling (or possibly after) – the fun post will have giveaways, reader competitions, answer readers questions, or even just have an interview with someone awesome.
Open to suggestion there – if there’s someone you’d like me to get in touch with, or some training tool that you’re drooling over give me a shout and I’ll do my utmost.
In addition to all that, the newsletter is going to have its own set of updates and some unique content so if you’re not already subscribed I’d mosey on over before you miss out!
Where can you find me in 2012?
Here for a start! I’m going to be around on my blog and through my regular contacts page whenever for obvious reasons. But in addition to all that I’ll be focusing on these social networks:
- LinkedIn (less frequently than the others, but still visible)
- Threedy Forums
- Newsletter (Form in sidebar –>)
I’m likely to completely ignore:
- Other 3D Forums (I may change my mind on this later)
They’re all linked to my profile on each active account for your convenience, feel free to add me to any (or all) of them and say hi if you do!